How to Wear Ethnic Pieces: Colorful Embroidered Top

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

If you've been following this blog, you know I try to find beautiful ethnic pieces and incorporate them into an everyday look for a unique style. You can check out more posts in this series here!

I think the reason I'm drawn to ethnic pieces is because they're so bold and colorful. I love that hand embroidery and embellishment have been practiced for hundreds of years. It amazes me that indigenous embroideries throughout the world - whether in South Asia, Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia, or South America - all have styles in common, without the communities having any actual contact with each other. It reminds you how small this world really is, and how we are all so much more alike than we sometimes think.

Mixing and matching these pieces into an  everyday look is also a small way of celebrating my own ethnic heritage. I came across the front embroidery for this top when visiting the Middle East a few years ago. It was sourced from the northern areas of Pakistan, and I made it into a shirt for Haute Heritage. Here, I paired it with denim shorts and bold red chunky tie-up heels for an added pop of color.

I know some of you have started mixing your own ethnic pieces into your everyday looks too. Please share them with us! (You can post them on The Style Matrix Facebook page here) or share them on Instagram with #EthnicEverywear! I will start sharing all your looks on the blog here, so keep posting and check back often!

Let me know what you think of this look, and if you would like to see anything in particular featured on the blog here. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and having a conversation about how to wear beautiful ethnic pieces! #EthnicEverywear

xoxo




You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Like The Style Matrix on Facebook

INSTAGRAM

Subscribe