The Style Matrix Everyday Makeup RoutineThursday, April 03, 2014
I was in desperate need of a makeup update. So I went on the hunt for the perfect powder illuminizer, a deep bronzer, a complementary blush, and the right eyeshadow palette.
The best powder illuminizer I found was hands-down MAC's Skinfinish in Soft & Gentle. I wanted that dewy, glowing look without the messiness of liquid highlighter or the stickiness of a cream one. I like how powder gives more even coverage, but I couldn't find a powder with a strong effect. Then I came across this MAC one and it was like the heavens parted.
After I picked up the illuminizer, I picked up a bronzer and blush from MAC to complete the look. The bronzer was a great shade, I just wish it was a little darker. The blush is a really pretty pink-violet - I wanted one that was the closes shade to my natural lip color.
What I used:
1. MAC Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer - I don't like wearing foundation on normal days because I think it's too heavy. I usually just put concealer on underneath my eyes.
2. MAC Veluxe Brow Liner - A great brow liner for precision filling and a brush on the other end you can use to soften the lines.
3. MAC Bronzer - It was a toss-up between this and Nars Bronzer in Casino. I went with MAC because it was a little more subtle.
4. Smashbox Full Exposure Eyeshadow Palette - I love this palette for the matte shades and black shadow. On days I want a little more of an eyeliner look, I simply take a smudge brush and use the black shadow to create some smokey lines.
5. MAC Powder Blush in Breath of Plum - I once read that the best way to find the right shade of blush is to go with one that is the same color as your natural lips. It's mother nature's way of telling you what's your perfect color.
6. CoverGirl Professional Natural Lash Clear Mascara - I actually can't stand mascara. I don't like how it makes my eyelashes feel stiff and it's even worse when it flakes all over the place. The worst is the pain of having to wash it off each night. So my alternative is this clear mascara. It doesn't give the same volume or length as regular mascara, but for everyday it gives a little definition.
7. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft & Gentle - <insert trumpet sound here> This is it baby. The nicest illuminizer. I spent months looking for the perfect one! This one's great because not only can you use it to highlight your cheekbones, you can use it to brighten up the space beneath your brow bone, the inner corners of your eyes, and your cupid's bow (the space right above the center of your lips).
8. Pssssst! Instant Dry Shampoo - I don't wash my hair every day. It's too much hassle and I find washing it too often actually dries it out while styling damages my hair more. So on days I haven't washed and styled, I use this dry shampoo to freshen up my locks and add some volume to my roots.
Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below. I'd love to share my product experiences with you!