How to Wear Ethnic Pieces: Traditional Afghan Dress Turned Chic

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

One of my favorite style inspirations for my clothing line is folk-chic: that is, adapting traditional folk details into a modern, chic look. Traditional Afghan women's dresses provide a great palette from which you can achieve this style. These dresses typically have gorgeous, colorful embroidery, a great mix of patterns, and full, bell-sleeves with good definition in the waist. 
Afghan woman wearing traditional dress

At first glance, it may not look like there's much you can do with such a traditional dress. But there's always fashion inspiration for anyone looking beyond the surface. :)  I was shopping in Karachi one day when I came across a festival celebrating the culture and heritage of Pakistan's Northern Areas. There, I saw this multi-colored embroidered folk dress and it was love at first sight! I loved the colors and pattern and knew it would make a great addition to my wardrobe. It might not look very practical or even wearable, but I tempered down the overly-ethnic aspects with a neutral bag and shoes. Finally, I topped off the look with a cream suit jacket to add some extra polish. And voila! You have an ensemble perfect even for a day at the office!




Shoes from Zara
Bag from Coach
Watch by Michael Kors
Jacket from J.Crew
Jewelry vintage


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like The Style Matrix on Facebook

INSTAGRAM

Subscribe